[Qgis-user] How to store spatial information of various geometry types (point, line, polygon) in one place?

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Fri Aug 29 14:51:00 PDT 2014

I agree - that approach to managing spatial data was last century's one.

I recommend you use a spatially enabled database to manage spatial data . as many geometries/geographies as you want per feature.

We have polygons with a point label location, linestrings with start finish timestamps as well as start, finish and mid points.

>From a traditional GIS centric perspective the coords defining the spatial representation of an entity has a special place - they are the entity, & the other attributes just hang of it. A fundamentally flawed model according to good data management practices.

A good RDBMS stores a spatial representation value as just another attribute, you can have as many geometry, date/time, numeric or text fields describing your real world entity as you like... enablind spatial data to be corecvctly modelled & managed. Pretty much all GIS tools these days support connecting to an external spatial database as an alternative to an internal database or file based system.

I prefer Postgis, but MySQL/MariaDB, or even the free versions of SQL Server & Oracle support the OGC SFS standard, which, amongst other things, defines an approach for storing simple spatial features in a RDBMS.

If you want a cloud based approach - Amazon cloud supports Postgres, you can establish a database, install Postgis & insert your data, configuring the Postgres server to allow access from your systems as you require via IP afddress & user name.

Cheers,

  Brent