[Qgis-user] opening kml files

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Aug 30 00:36:12 PDT 2014

Am 30.08.2014 08:53, schrieb Innisfree McKinnon:
> Hello all,
> I'm also having an issue opening a .kml file. I downloaded a .kmz file of a
> historic map and would like to open it in QGIS. After reading what I could
> find online, I opened it in Google Earth and saved it as a .kml file. Then
> I went into QGIS and attempted to open it as a vector layer, selecting
> "files of type:Keyhole Markup Language." The title appears under layers,
> but it doesn't actually display. I thought it might be a projection
> problem, so I tried "zoom to to layer" but that doesn't seem to have any
> effect.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated. I could georeference the file myself,
> but since it has already been done, I was trying to avoid duplicating that
> work.

The KML driver is designed for importing vector data (points, lines and
polygons). From your description, the .kml seems to display a raster
file, therefore nothing gets imported. The same might happen if the kml
only contains an internet link to the raster file.

You can however look into the kml file with any text editor, and look
out for georeferencing information. That can be used to build a .vrt
file, which serves for QGIS as a wrapper the same way as your kml does
for Google Earth.

Mabe you can provide the dwomload link of the original kmz to help further.

HTH,
André Joost