[Qgis-user] reposting q on reprojection problem in QGIS > 2.0

Peter Aldhous peter at peteraldhous.com
Tue Jul 1 05:48:34 PDT 2014

Hi all,

Apologies for reviving this thread (below), but does anyone have a
solution other than using a different data format? I ask because I will
be do some teaching using QGIS and want to work with shapefiles for that.

This is a problem that's emerged for me only with recent versions of
QGIS, so something must have changed to cause the behavior. Might it be
at the level of GDAL?

Best wishes,

Peter

--
Peter Aldhous, PhD
Science journalist

I can verify this same behavior on Win7 with QGIS 2.4 64b. I think it
has to do with the shapes crossing the 180^(o) line. If you zoom in to
a smaller area that includes only countries in one hemisphere, the
borders look OK. Also, it's not only Robinson and Mollweide: any
global projection will show strange trapezoids (even "Google" mercator)
I also see that if you use the *spatialite database file* from
naturalearthdata.org this problem disappears. You can switch to other
world projections with no problem.