[Qgis-user] Recognition of QGIS feature funders

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Jul 3 06:10:53 PDT 2014

Selon Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:

> Il 03/07/2014 14:29, n.rochard at aduga.org ha scritto:
> > Sear Paolo
> >
> > I think, social network is a good way, politician are using it a lot.
> > The oher way should put the name and logo of the agency/business wich fund
> *entirely*
> > a new feature on the graphic changelog
> > (http://changelog.linfiniti.com/qgis/version/2.4.0/)
>
> I understand your point. It may be difficult, or impossible, to define when a
> feature
> is funded entirely by one subject; software does not live in isolation, and
> we risk
> to overlook fundamental work in favour of more "flashy" new stuff.
> The issue here is to give appropriate credit to everyone, and be fair in this
> context
> is really tricky. That's why I would not mind leaving the advertising of a
> feature to
> its funder.
> Of course, this may not fit equally well everyone.

I agree with Paolo proper credit is tricky and some hard work isn't always
visible or lies elsewhere. For example, QGIS benefits from GDAL/OGR. So to
satisfy a user need, for example better supporting XXXXX format, most (if not
all) of the ground work is done outside of QGIS. This is not a feature that will
be visible in a QGIS commit, but as it is likely that the funder isn't
completely aware of the technical details since he has probably just ordered
"make QGIS work with XXXXX format", he could be badly surprised to not see it
mentionned in QGIS credits.
Don't get me wrong : I'm not saying that funders should not be credited (their
support is much needed !), just underlying the fairness issues.

Even