[Qgis-user] Wrong area with OTF activated

Carlos Cerdán sig.upagu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 08:37:24 PDT 2014

Dear QGIS users

I was preparing a question about calculating areas because I had an issue:
calculated area in QGIS was different (and wrong) that ArcGIS (right value)
... but i found the answer. It can be useful for your work (as it was for
mine) so here is a comment:

I was working in UTM src (SRC = 32717, in notification, down right corner),
but with "on the fly SRC transformation" activated. When I use field
calculator, the value of area is greater (and wrong) than when it's
calculated with "on the fly.." deactivated (right area value).

So, in QGIS, the right way to make geometry calculus is matching SRC of
your project and your layers and working deactivating "on the fly..."

Greetings

Carlos