[Qgis-user] Assistance with QGIS tutorial.

Sid M. Miller Sid_M_Miller at SBCGlobal.net
Mon Jul 21 02:17:41 PDT 2014

Greetings:

I need help to get  started learning /QuantumGIS/ using *Quatntum GIS
Training Manual*, Release 1.0 dated April 05, 2014.I am presently
hampered by a long term, if not permanent period of ineptitude.

I have used a good deal of time initially to learn some rudiments, as I
had no prior GIS experience, and then to search, download, install and
print matching materials consisting of a *Quantum GIS* program, version
1.8 (Lisboa) to match *Quantum GIS Training Manual*, Release 1.0 dated
April 05, 2014, which at the time (April 2014) appeared to be the latest
Tutorial, although Lisboa was not the latest *QGIS* program version. I
also downloaded and printed *A Gentle Introduction to GIS* (no date or
version number), and *QGIS User Guide, *Release 1.8.0, dated May 14,
2011 to provide introductory and source material as I progressed.

In late April, 2014, following the Tutorial, page 7, I downloaded and
unzipped /Training_manual_exercise_data.zip/ from the website,
http://qgis.org/downloads/data/.I've tried unsuccessfully, following
page 8 to add the first vector layer with "/exercise_data/streets.shp"/,
but browse as hard as I could was not able to locate this shape file.I
downloaded and unzipped the data zip file three times with the same result.

I satisfied myself that Lisboa was working by borrowing a shape file
from a very short MIT tutorial (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
to produce a Map of Massachusetts with its taxing districts, and also by
using "//roads.shp/" to produce a map of a South Africa town.My notes of
4/25/14 neglect to record how I found the South Africa shape file, but I
believe it was among the *QGIS* materials.

I need someone to put me on the right "street", so I can pick up the
tutorial at page 7 or 8 with the proper shape file and continue through
to the end.

Please email me if you post a response advising that an answer is
waiting for me.

Yours truly,

Sid Miller