[Qgis-user] Assistance with QGIS tutorial.

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Mon Jul 21 03:25:56 PDT 2014

Hi Sid,
I downloaded the zip file you mentioned, and found (at least) the
problem to be that the project files (example.qgs) points to vector
files in directories other than that within the zip file.

Whilst I would know how to patch-fix it, I do not know the intentions or
other details of the tutorial, so this would best be fixed by the kind
people who wrote the tutorial.

Hopefully they are watching this thread :-)

Incidentally one of the key QGIS developers resides in that South
African town, so that's most likely why the training materials are
peppered with South African data.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
Zoltan

On 2014/07/21 11:17, Sid M. Miller wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I need help to get  started learning /QuantumGIS/ using *Quatntum GIS
> Training Manual*, Release 1.0 dated April 05, 2014.I am presently
> hampered by a long term, if not permanent period of ineptitude.
>
> I have used a good deal of time initially to learn some rudiments, as
> I had no prior GIS experience, and then to search, download, install
> and print matching materials consisting of a *Quantum GIS* program,
> version 1.8 (Lisboa) to match *Quantum GIS Training Manual*, Release
> 1.0 dated April 05, 2014, which at the time (April 2014) appeared to
> be the latest Tutorial, although Lisboa was not the latest *QGIS*
> program version. I also downloaded and printed *A Gentle Introduction
> to GIS* (no date or version number), and *QGIS User Guide, *Release
> 1.8.0, dated May 14, 2011 to provide introductory and source material
> as I progressed.
>
> In late April, 2014, following the Tutorial, page 7, I downloaded and
> unzipped /Training_manual_exercise_data.zip/ from the website,
> http://qgis.org/downloads/data/.I've tried unsuccessfully, following
> page 8 to add the first vector layer with
> "/exercise_data/streets.shp"/, but browse as hard as I could was not
> able to locate this shape file.I downloaded and unzipped the data zip
> file three times with the same result.
>
> I satisfied myself that Lisboa was working by borrowing a shape file
> from a very short MIT tutorial (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
> to produce a Map of Massachusetts with its taxing districts, and also
> by using "//roads.shp/" to produce a map of a South Africa town.My
> notes of 4/25/14 neglect to record how I found the South Africa shape
> file, but I believe it was among the *QGIS* materials.
>
> I need someone to put me on the right "street", so I can pick up the
> tutorial at page 7 or 8 with the proper shape file and continue
> through to the end.
>

> Please email me if you post a response advising that an answer is
> waiting for me.
>

> Yours truly,
>
> Sid Miller

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za