[Qgis-user] Batch GeoCoding within QGIS 2.0

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Mar 3 14:02:38 PST 2014

On 03/03/2014 01:47 PM, Joseph Sloop wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> I have a question about Batch GeoCoding within QGIS. I have a couple
> datasets that are rather large (500 +) of addresses. I GeoCoded them in
> ArcGIS with an Address Locator build on local data (address points, tax
> parcels and street centerlines). I then tried doing the same thing in QGIS
> and just was not able to get a good GeoCode. I tried using the MMQGIS
> Plugin and using GPS Visualizer (found on this blog:
> http://www.stevencanplan.com/2009/how-to-geocode-in-open-source-qgis/) This
> geocoded alot better. I was just wondering if there is a way to Batch
> GeoCode within QGIS using your own data (address points, tax parcels and
> street centerlines) as the parameters and not Google or OpenStreet Maps?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Joseph
> _____________________________

Most of the open source geocoders I've seen are built around the
TIGER/Census data. Obviously that only works in the US so I assume some
of them can be extended to work from other data sets.

https://github.com/geocommons/geocoder
http://www.pagcgeo.org/
http://postgis.net/docs/Extras.html

The Postgis geocoder at the bottom says it could use Nominatim (OSM),
which makes me think you could put your own data in too. You might just
have to reverse engineer the data structures in this geocoders and get
your data to fit.

Sorry none of these are out of the box options, they all require some
skill setting up the database and software to work.

Enjoy,
Alex