[Qgis-user] QGis 2.0.1 (german version): Transect with square polygons

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Mar 5 00:18:46 PST 2014

Hi Daniel,

First I comment on your statement "QGis seems equipped in the basic
version with less features."

We don't have different versions like ESRI: basic, professional,
advanced, whatever there is available @ESRI.

Everybody gets the full version with QGIS. Of cours ESRI stuff is in
development for 30-40 years and QGIS only since 2002. So I bet there
will be some functions in ESRI that aren't available in QGIS - but also
in the opposite way. QGIS has some cool stuff that ESRI does not offer.

In QGIS there is a "plugin concept". A lot of functionality is started
as a plugin and then may make its way into core if it is popular. So if
you are missing something, be sure to also look at the plugins repository.

In your case you may want to try the "Vektor" --> "Research Tools" -->
"Vector Grid" functionality. I think it may cover some of your needs -
maybe not all. Maybe you need to postprocess the generated data to cater
to your attribute/naming needs.

As to digitizing with snapping: yes, this is available. Have a look at
"Settings" --> "Snapping Options".

Different colors based on values: of course - this is basic GIS stuff.

Don't let yourself be trapped with ArcGIS. Other GIS have different
concepts and functions. Things behave different.

Hope this helps a bit.

Andreas