[Qgis-user] Question on Installing a newer version of QGIS

Ramon Andiñach custard at westnet.com.au
Sun Nov 2 01:36:02 PST 2014

If you're using the stand-alone installers (and it sounds like you are) then all the things than QGIS needs (GRASS included) are in the folder for that version.

So there isn't really a preferred way. Uninstall first or later, up to you.

The only major gotchas are:
1. The project files, as no attempt is made for backward compatibility. So, a project saved in 2.6 might not work properly in 2.4 (in this case, I'm pretty sure there will be problems with the composers). Forwards (opening 2.4 projects in 2.6) should work.
2. The settings (and this includes your python plugins) are shared between versions. Mostly this should be fine, but some plugins are quite version specific.

Does that help at all?

FWIW, I (like some other people on this list) have had the development version (which just became 2.6) and 2.4 running side-by-side without major problems.

-ramon.