[Qgis-user] QGIS 2.6 projected graticules

Ramon AndiƱach custard at westnet.com.au
Sun Nov 2 05:08:38 PST 2014

On 02/11/2014, at 19:50 , Lester Anderson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Still no built-in option in the composer for projected map graticules (eg Polar stereographic, Lambert conformal etc). Still limited to linear systems.
>
> Will this ever be implemented in QGIS, or is there a plugin that will create projected map graticules for all projections (to display longitude and latitude)?
>
> I have been using QGIS since v1.6 and have seen no changes on this aspect.

Well, no. Not no movement, but you might want to look into some of the new features a bit before saying that it's not possible.

This image https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8rjxb6om1ciuau/Polar.png?dl=0 is about 2 minutes playing and has a grid on an arctic polar map. I don't think it can be perfect, but it's a lot closer. Is that almost what you where after?

Significantly for you one of the nice developers[1] added a feature that allows you to draw grids in different projections to the map canvas. It might be worth asking him nicely what it would cost to have what you need added (e.g. some work on the labels, and some way to show that missing 180 line.), and then banding together with some other folk that work in high and low places to make it happen.

-ramon.
[1] My thanks by the way. I realise that there's been an ongoing argument about the accuracy of being able to do this (which I don't want to restart), but sometimes this is what the client wants - and its nice to be able to do it without too much mucking about.