[Qgis-user] Qgis 2.6 Brighton on Mac Osx 10.10 Yosemite

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Mon Nov 10 20:30:09 PST 2014

In a Terminal window type:

/Library/Frameworks/GDAL.framework/Programs/gdalinfo --formats

and press return (if you follow the GDAL Readme suggestion to change your PATH, you can leave off the /Library...Programs/ part and type just gdalinfo).

ECW should be near the top of the list.  If there is a problem, you should see something about that before the format list.

On Nov 10, 2014, at 10:17 PM, Geoff Dickson <dickovich at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi and thanks for the prompt reply
>
> I did that and i get a red error bar - INVALID DATA SOURCE: [quotes map location on laptop and map name.ecw] is not a valid or recognisable data source...
>
> Seems like my ecw plugin or whatever is not working - is there a way i can generate a file to show you that can give some sense as to what I have done - or not done ?
>
> Geoff
>
>> On 11 Nov 2014, at 12:03 pm, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
>>
>> Try dragging the ECW file from your desktop onto the QGIS window.
>>
>> On Nov 10, 2014, at 9:11 PM, Geoff Dickson <dickovich at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list
>>>
>>> Complete NEWBIE here, so apologies.
>>>
>>> I am trying to install QGIS to allow me to view / convert ecw mapping files.
>>>
>>> I have downloaded the latest 2.6 version for mac - I am using OSX 10.10 Yosemite.
>>>
>>> I have downloaded the GDAL 1.11 Complete framework files and followed the instructions to install the other dependancies.  I have downloaded the ECW plugin1.11.0-1 and ERDAS ECW/JPEG2000 SDK 5.1 and followed install instructions to place certain files throughout my directory structure.
>>>
>>> QGIS runs fine, however, when I go to open the ECW map - it is grayed out - indicating to me I cant open it.
>>>
>>> Something is broken, or incompatible given I am using Yosemite ?
>>>
>>> Can someone help ? Is there a command line method to check my install ? I thought I followed all the instructions but it isn't working and I have an urgent file I need to convert..
>>>
>>> Help !!
>>>

>>> Geoff

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

[Trillian]  What are you supposed to do WITH a maniacally depressed robot?

[Marvin]  You think you have problems?  What are you supposed to do if you ARE a maniacally depressed robot?  No, don't try and answer, I'm 50,000 times more intelligent than you and even I don't know the answer...

- HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy