[Qgis-user] Duplicating a vector layer

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Thu Nov 13 22:27:45 PST 2014

On 2014/11/13 18:38, Adrian Beasley wrote:
> I am new to QGIS, still very much learning how to use it.
>
> What I wish to do is generate a number of similar vector layers, to be
> able to generate slightly different maps from them. The obvious way
> would seem to be to duplicate an existing layer, renaming the new
> copy, and editing it. But this seems not to produce a new, distinct
> layer, as making changes to either the original or the new layer
> causes the same changes in both.
>
> I can find no mention of this facility in the user guide nor in the
> training documentation. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Adrian Beasley

Hi Adrian,
Depends how similar you mean by similar.
If the map geometry is the same but you just want to render the maps
differently, take a look at the "style" options. There are some very
power features for rendering according to field contents, etc.

HTH,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
GIS and Photogrammetric Services

P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

Mobile: +27-83-6004028
Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za