[Qgis-user] Duplicating a vector layer

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Thu Nov 13 09:11:03 PST 2014

Probably the easiest thing for you to do is to right click on the layer
and go to "save as". That will save/export your current layer as a new
one and allow the edits you want to make. All you would need to do is
add it to you qgis session.

Hope that helps,

Randy

On 11/13/2014 11:38 AM, Adrian Beasley wrote:
> I am new to QGIS, still very much learning how to use it.
>
> What I wish to do is generate a number of similar vector layers, to be
> able to generate slightly different maps from them. The obvious way
> would seem to be to duplicate an existing layer, renaming the new
> copy, and editing it. But this seems not to produce a new, distinct
> layer, as making changes to either the original or the new layer
> causes the same changes in both.
>
> I can find no mention of this facility in the user guide nor in the
> training documentation. Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
>
> Adrian Beasley

Randal Hale
North River Geographic Systems, Inc