[Qgis-user] Duplicating a vector layer

Adrian Beasley adrian.beasley at outlook.com
Thu Nov 13 08:38:56 PST 2014

I am new to QGIS, still very much learning how to use it.

What I wish to do is generate a number of similar vector layers, to be able to generate slightly different maps from them. The obvious way would seem to be to duplicate an existing layer, renaming the new copy, and editing it. But this seems not to produce a new, distinct layer, as making changes to either the original or the new layer causes the same changes in both.

I can find no mention of this facility in the user guide nor in the training documentation. Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation.

Adrian Beasley