[Qgis-user] QGIS not running

Frank Sokolic sokolic at worldonline.co.za
Mon Nov 24 21:52:12 PST 2014

On 25/11/2014 06:21, Bernardo Santos wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I do not know why, but my QGIS is not running. I am using QGIS 2.4
> Chugiak on Ubuntu 13.04.
>
> When I try to run QGIS, it returns a very long message that ends with:
>
> "src/core/qgsmessagelog.cpp: 45: (logMessage) 2014-11-25T02:18:02
> Complementos[0] Carregado MetaSearch Catalogue Client (pacote: MetaSearch)
> QGIS died on signal 11Could not attach to process.  If your uid matches
> the uid of the target
> process, check the setting of /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope, or try
> again as the root user.  For more details, see /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
> ptrace: Operação não permitida.
> No thread selected
> No stack.
> gdb returned 0
> Abortado (imagem do núcleo gravada)"
>
> What other information are needed to understand the problem?
> I have already tried to uninstall and re-install QGIS, but it did not work.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Bernardo Niebuhr

I am having a similar problem with QGIS Master on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit.
Since about a week ago I get the following error message:
Warning: loading of qgis translation failed
[/usr/share/qgis/i18n//qgis_en_GB]
Warning: loading of qt translation failed
[/usr/share/qt4/translations/qt_en_GB]
Warning: QGraphicsScene::addItem: item has already been added to this scene
QGIS died on signal 11Could not attach to process.  If your uid matches
the uid of the target
process, check the setting of /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope, or try
again as the root user.  For more details, see /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
ptrace: Operation not permitted.
No thread selected
No stack.
gdb returned 0
Aborted (core dumped)

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled QGIS but it still crashes on
startup. I've also tried running QGIS with the --noplugins switch but
this hasn't helped, nor does running it with sudo.

I wonder whether there has been a recent Ubuntu update that is causing a
problem on some machines?

Regards, Frank.