[Qgis-user] Crowdfunding Project: Automated tests for QGIS

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Fri Oct 10 06:33:00 PDT 2014

Hi Matthias,

On Fri, 10. Oct 2014 at 14:35:39 +0200, Matthias Kuhn wrote:
> I'm pretty sure it is. Do you ever looks at this page? I doubt that the
> majority of devs even knows it exists. They do however know that github
> exists.

I do and I mention it whenever this comes up again - so I figure everyone who
doesn't know is probably quite new or doesn't care enough.

But I must admit that I only fixed a few.  I think most of the tests are not
actually pointing at bugs - except in the test itself.  Most of the failing
tests are merily testing stuff that intentionally was changed, is even gone or
replaced with something better.  E.g. instead of testing the (old) rendering
the test now essentially outlines that the migration from old to new rendering
settings is flawed, but that's no rendering issue.

> Main points to nightly build vs. per-commit build is that responsibility  is
> visible. And therefore it's possible to revert the responsible commit. And
> there's mail notification that makes it pretty hard to  ignore failing tests.
> Additional plus point for Travis CI -> github is that pull requests are  also
> tested.

Of course. Using travis would be nice and I don't see any possible harm.  And
having that from the start would have not let the tests become that messy and
hard to clean up.  No so sure that it is hard to ignore ;)

But I'm hesitant about introducing a hard requirement for new stuff to have
(meaningful and significant enough) tests, because that might keep out nice new
stuff - even if its working fine or would be easy enough to fix once exposed to
a broader base of brave users.

But that also implies that we'll probably end up with low test coverage.  Are
there actually people that find tests fun to write?

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode