[Qgis-user] Crowdfunding Project: Automated tests for QGIS

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 18:03:35 PDT 2014

On 11 October 2014 00:33, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> But I'm hesitant about introducing a hard requirement for new stuff to have
> (meaningful and significant enough) tests, because that might keep out nice new
> stuff - even if its working fine or would be easy enough to fix once exposed to
> a broader base of brave users.
>
> But that also implies that we'll probably end up with low test coverage.  Are
> there actually people that find tests fun to write?

Me! Well... kind of. I get a kick out of writing code which is well
covered by tests, and having confidence that I'm not breaking other
stuff in the process. I've wasted a lot of time fixing regressions
which would never have been introduced if code had have been
accompanied by sufficient unit tests. It slows development, makes code
fragile, and leads to regression filled releases. So while I may not
actually enjoy spending the extra time it takes to code a unit test, I
know that it's the right thing to do and it's worth the effort.

I think it's also vital for sponsors confidence in feature development
that they can be sure the feature won't be broken in subsequent
releases. Unit tests are the best way to ensure this.

In summary - vote YES for QEP #7! (and fund Matthias' campaign...)

Nyall