[Qgis-user] using QGIS with Java 7?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Oct 16 06:30:22 PDT 2014

On Oct 16, 2014, at 5:44 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:

> On 10/15/14 10:55 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>> This is a side effect of the MDB driver in the GDAL framework.  It requires Java 6 because I thought it the simplest - the use of Java 6 triggers the system to want to install it, which it can do automatically from Apple.  Java 7+ is a separate, non-automatic, download & install from Oracle, and from the developer side more confusing to compile a binary for.  Java 6 is safe fro your system and should not confuse other software that will take advantage of more recent Java versions installed.
>>
>> It's mentioned in the GDAL framework readme, but not directly in the GDAL Complete readme, so it's been catching people off guard.  I plan to make the MDB driver into a GDAL plugin so a basic GDAL install doesn't trigger the surprise.
>>

> interestingly i never did install Java 6, but retried the QGIS installer
> one more time and it installed anyway with Java 7. no idea why.

The QGIS installer should still work, since it's a GDAL requirement, though I don't have an install check there either.  It's when you run QGIS or GDAL tools that triggers the Java 6 install.

It may not be a fatal error for QGIS, now that I think about it.  Unless some GDAL feature is used.  At least you'll get a lot of noise in your log files.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.