[Qgis-user] Collecting ideas for adding data dependent charts/plots in map composer

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 00:56:25 PDT 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to brainstorm how to integrate charts within map composer.
This is different from the layer based diagrams currently available in
QGIS layers.  What I want is to be able to display charts within map
composer for example, a pie chart (ugh!) of my landcover categories or
a histogram of my raster values, etc.  Right now, what I do in map
composer are:
1. create a chart in a separate program and embed as image
2. create a html chart for example with D3 and add it as file using
the HTML frame or directly paste the html in the label box rendered as
html.

Some plugins (i.e. profile tool) have integrated chart plots already.
I wonder how we can integrate this into the map composer.  Ideally,
what I want is to prepare the charts all within QGIS map composer that
is able to interact with my layer attributes (i.e. display summary
chart).

Searching the web for plotting APIs I saw the following:
1. many html/js based implmentations like google chart and D3
2. matplotlib for python
3. Qt plotting widgets

Maybe others here have implemented such approach? Any ideas?
--
cheers,
maning