[Qgis-user] QGIS/ArcGIS python interference

Torsten Lange torsten.lange at mail.de
Fri Apr 10 01:15:58 PDT 2015

Hi Paolo,

This "spline with barrier" function, which we are using to model faulted geological surfaces/units is one of the tools that are missing. But beside those tools the data infrastructure, which comprises a strongly integrated all-kind-of-geo-data pool is built on SDE versioning having a Postgis storage backend. So, for instance, as QGIS user I don't get to see the most current version in which people do their actual editing. Usually I extract the actual state befor closing/finishing a job to be sure I didn't miss anything brand new, which is still feasible for the small number of editing staff. This versioning also is the reason why editing is allowed only in ArcGIS.

This means, for a long time ArcGIS will stay the main GIS for everthing in our federal state geological survey even all ArcGIS plus extra licences obviously hurt the budget. The permanent geoscientists conductiong the everyday assessment work use prepared views on the data they need and have actually no time to look around other GIS software. So QGIS is "watched" and offered as tool but more or less unsupported.

Best, Torsten

Am 10-Apr-2015 07:37:31 +0200 schrieb cavallini at faunalia.it:
Hi Torsten

 Il 09/04/2015 22:02, Torsten Lange ha scritto:

 > I sometimes just depend on functionallity that only ArcGIS provides. In
 > our geological driven case thats for sure the very sophisticated "Spline
 > with Barrier" function.

 just out of curiosity: what exactly is missing from Processing toolbox?
 I would bet developing a plugin to fill up the gaps would be feasible,
 at reasonable costs.

 All the best.
 --
 Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu