[Qgis-user] how to calculate the overlap area of several polygons of the same shape qgis 2.4

Siki Zoltan siki at agt.bme.hu
Sat Apr 11 11:41:25 PDT 2015

Dear Francesc,

Create a unique field in the attribute table of your polygon layer, for
example an ordinal number of the features ($rownum in field calculator)
Add the same polygon layer twice to your QGIS project. Rename one of them
not to mix them up. Use the Vector/Geoprcessing/Union (or intersection)
between the two layers (refering to the same shape file).
In the result you will get the columns of the two layers, names are
changed to be unique (e.g. if you created an id column, then you get id
and id_2). You can ignore/delete those polygons where id = id_2.
Add an area column to the result using the field calculator.

I hope it helps you.

Best regards,
Zoltan