[Qgis-user] Qgis-user Digest, Vol 110, Issue 25

Nikhil Murarka nikhilmurarka14 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 19:38:33 PDT 2015

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 15:26:06 +0000
> From: John Barnes <John.Barnes at ci.mcminnville.or.us>
> To: "qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org" <qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org>
> Subject: [Qgis-user] Custom toolbars and custom tools
>
> QGIS 2.8.1
> Windows 7 64bit
> MS Office 2007 32bit
> .NET Framework 4.5.2
> Scrip Runner Version 2.0.1
> Installed via standalone installer
>
> I have only been using qgis for a couple of weeks and I am enjoying it
> very much.
>
> My background is ESRI for the last 19 years.  Mostly customization from
> VBA to vb.net addins with ArcGIS Desktop and Visual Studio.
>
> With the esri products it is very easy to create custom toolbars and add
> command buttons and tools created from .net addins.  Is there anything
> similar within qgis that would allow me to easily create a custom toolbar
> and add tools and buttons with a python script associated to them?  I'm new
> to python but it is going very well so far.
>
> My goal here with qgis is to get away from esri and be able to greatly
> expand my user base with qgis.
>
> Thank you everyone.  This listserve has been a huge help to me.
>
> John Barnes
>

> Hello John,

You will need to create python plugin. Try plugin Builder or follow other
tutorial for basic set up.Now in you plugin you can create you own tool bar.

 QtoolBar and add this toolBar to Qgis.

Take a look at this http://qgis.org/api/classQgisInterface.html

specificallyt addToolBar(NameOfToolBar)

toolBar.addAction(action)

you can add various action to toolbar and you you want to run whatever
functionality you want  you can also customize with different icon.

Thanks,
Nikhil Murarka