[Qgis-user] OSM download error

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Apr 22 07:40:35 PDT 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 7:20 AM, Simon Lange <simonlange87 at web.de> wrote:

> It has been discussed several times, yet, I cannot figure out how to
> download open street maps layer for the sake of using the features (roads,
> parks etc.). instead, after choosing one of the three options (loading from
> canvas, manual....) the download does not succeed. Anyone who can help me
> out?

I'm on a later version of QGIS which can download OSM data. A couple of
tips. Make sure the area you are selecting is not too large. Try a smaller
area. I believe the api max is .5 degrees by .5 degrees. Second, choose a
file name. If the download is successful you should have a [yourfile].osm
saved. The .osm file can be opened with the Add Vector Layer control.

As an alternative, you can install JOSM [1] to download the area. If the
area you want is too big for a single download, download a bunch of smaller
areas until you have what you need. Then save the data layer to a file with
a .osm extension.

Hope that helps.

Clifford

[1] josm.openstreetmap.de