[Qgis-user] How to convert ECW using open source packages into something else?

Enrique filonio at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 14:29:48 PDT 2015

As recommended by Paul Ramsey, tiled schema is a better option, so I add it
to gdal_translate command.

Thanks!

a. Reading ECW and compressing to JPG (set your favourite quality, 80 is a
good choice for orthoimages; also CACHEMAX could be increased):

gdal_translate --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 1000 --config GDAL_PAM_ENABLED NO -of
GTIFF -co COMPRESS=JPEG -co TILED=YES -co JPEG_QUALITY=80 -co
PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR "source_image.ecw" "target_image.tif"

b. Adding internal pyramids/overviews with JPG compression (select your
resampling method, I prefer average):

gdaladdo --config COMPRESS_OVERVIEW JPEG --config PHOTOMETRIC_OVERVIEW
YCBCR --config INTERLEAVE_OVERVIEW PIXEL -r average "image.tif" 2 4 8 16 32
64 128