[Qgis-user] Incredibly slow performance using QGIS v2.10

Ken Walenga walenga.ken at gene.com
Sun Aug 30 13:33:50 PDT 2015

I have replied to your questions in-line, below:

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
wrote:

> Kenneth,
>
> How many records, and how much memory do the files take on disc?

The Zip.shp file contains 41,342 rows and takes up ca. 400KB on disk.
The Zip2Terr.csv file contains 87,632 rows and occupies 4KB on disk.

> Are you joining the SHP and the CSV and then doing Dissolve?

Yes.

> Did you
> save the joined layer to a new file?

Yes

> Does this shapefile have a spatial
> index created?

Yes

> Is the topology of the polygons clean (are there self
> intersections, lots of slivers, or overlaps?

It is clean. There don't appear to be any slivers.

> Other than saving the intermediate to a file, the next suggestion is to
> use Spatialite or Postgis databases.

Can you elaborate a little on what's involved in using one of the two named
databases?
Do I simply need to read the .csv file into Spatiallite or Postgres?