[Qgis-user] Displaying 16 bit per channel images

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Sat Feb 14 00:01:17 PST 2015

Hello,

QGIS usually uses 24bit colours using three bands with values between 0
and 255. An alpha channel can be added, if the file format supports it
(JPG does not).

If you want to save bandwidth, you can use paletted colours with

Raster -> Conversion -> RGB to PCT

allowing 256 colours or less in one band with values between 0 and 255,
and additional palette information (colour table) in the file header.

In GDAL, RGB2PCT.bat does the same, but not gdal_translate.
gdal_translate -expand rgb does only the other way round: from palette
to three bands.

HTH,
André Joost