[Qgis-user] QGIS - Phase 1 Habitat Style Query

Bernd Vogelgesang bernd.vogelgesang at gmx.de
Mon Feb 16 12:50:39 PST 2015

Am 16.02.2015, 11:26 Uhr, schrieb Colin Bonfield
<colinbonfield at acornecology.co.uk>:

> To Whom it may concern,
>

> Please could I submit the following query:
>

> I have managed to load a style for JNCC Phase 1 Habitat Mapping as
> follows: settings – style manager >– share – import – then browse to and
> select the file. Then I just created a poly, line or point for >each
> habitat and selected the style. Can this be done within a single poly
> layer or am I correct >creating a layer for each style used i.e. amenity
> grassland, improved grassland.
As you do not share a link to the styles, it's hard to say how they are
meant to be used. Your examples "amenity grassland" and "improved
grassland" indicate, that at least these are represented as attributes of
a polygon layer, so the style should contain a rule for those attributes
to display them in a certain way.
So, hard to guess what your problem is...

>> The problem I still have is when digitising over a Google aerial (I
>> used this in preference to Bing >because you can zoom in closer) if I
>> move the map all the shape files shift out of place, very
>> >frustrating!   If you know how to overcome this please could you let
>> me know.  I’m sure I will >probably come across other problems when I
>> come to creating a layouts and legends etc but will post >these queries
>> later.

Google and Bing aerials with Open Layers plug-in are not good for
digitizing when you need to zoom in deep. Don't know the situation in your
region, but better invest some time trying to find a free WMS service
providing aerial images for your region.

Another hacky alternative is described here:
https://ieqgis.wordpress.com/2014/08/09/adding-esris-online-world-imagery-dataset-to-qgis/

Cheers
Bernd

--