[Qgis-user] Transformation using NTv2 grids

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Feb 17 09:30:02 PST 2015

Am 17.02.2015 um 17:33 schrieb Pedro VenĂ¢ncio:

> Here [0] we have an explanation of how the coordinate systems works in
> general, and in particular in QGIS. You also find solutions to use the NTv2
> grids with QGIS. Unfortunately, the text is in portuguese, but perhaps
> Google Translate can help [1].

To be honest, gooogle translate is of limited help for people who use
English only as a second language. I think it would help more if you set
up a special English page, as the Dutch QGIS community does for issues
with worldwide interest.

And http://planet.qgis.org/planet/ would be a good platform to promote
those topics.

> This is a way that each user must do individually. To make life easier for
> portuguese users, as we also have a lot of information that needs to be
> transformed to ETRS89, portuguese QGIS User Group developed the plugin that
> Giovanni told you [2], which greatly simplifies things, because it is
> integrated into Processing Toolbox and already provides the NTv2 grids.
>
> As Giovanni said, if there is interest from other countries and if we can
> freely redistribute the NTv2 grids, we can expand the plugin.

There are lots of ntv2 grids available for free, and telling the user :
"Put your local ntv2 grid in here" is affordable. That works for
non-free grids too.

Greetings,
André Joost