[Qgis-user] [Qgis-developer] Better tags for plugins

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 07:26:03 PST 2015

> My two cents...I understand the validation requirements. But I think the fundamental problem is those plugin authors who submit a plugin for X and then describe it thusly: "This is a plugin for X" where X is the same name as the plugin. The problem is that this one word or very brief phrase isn't very clear. X may be called Y in another field. There may be several methods to do X (or Y) so the user doesn't really know what's being computed and how. X may do something in one field but may also be an undiscovered solution to a problem in another field so just saying "This is a plugin for X" just doesn't say much useful stuff.

"Description" is already a required metadata field, of course we have
not an AI in place to determine the meaningfulness of the description.

This is the list of required metadata fields:

'name', 'description', 'version', 'qgisMinimumVersion', 'author', 'email'

Note: I'm always speaking about the official plugins repository.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it