[Qgis-user] Trouble projecting on the fly

Sharon Selvaggio ssitalian at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 17:20:31 PST 2015

Hello,

I'm a new user of QGIS but have many years experience with ArcGIS.

I am working with two datasets from two different sources and cannot get
project-on-the-fly to work.

I am using QGIS 2.8.0 on Ubuntu 12.04.

What I have tried:

(1) right clicking each layer, going to Set Layer CRS, setting all the
layers to the same projection (NAD83  EPSG:4269)  and I've also tried
(NAD83(CSRS)  EPSG:4617).

Even when I do this (and it shows that the layer is in the coordinate
system that I've selected), the layers don't line up. Also I continue to
get the message "/Define this layer's coordinate reference system:  This
layer appears to have no projection specification.  By default this
layer will now have its projection set to that of the project, but you
may override blah blah.."/

(2) I've tried turning project on the fly off, removing the layer that
won't match up, adding again, immediately changing projection, etc.  No
difference.

(3) I've also tried saving the offending file after choosing the new
projection, and then re-adding the new saved file.  No difference.

Any help would be appreciated.