[Qgis-user] Trouble projecting on the fly

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Mon Feb 23 19:38:42 PST 2015

Hi,
Make sure you have "projection on the fly" activated.  Also, make sure the next option (something like "what to do if a laker has no projection") is set to "ask".  This way, if your projection is not specified, it will ask you instead of allocating a default or a project CRS.
Right clicking on the layer will not reprojection a layer.  It will change the crs, for example, you have a layer in utm zone 18 that should be in zone 19, then you can change it.
If you are not sure what the layer projection is, you can use the wms service from nrcan (toporama). (Your working is nad83csrs so you must be in Canada).  The wms layer from toporama come in a number of crs.  Set your project to that CRS and try to import the layer in the correct projection and see if they are at the right place.
Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca
Le 2015-02-23 20:27, "Sharon Selvaggio [via OSGeo.org]	" <ml-node+s1560n5189590h51 at n6.nabble.com> a écrit :

    Hello,

    I'm a new user of QGIS but have many years experience with ArcGIS.

    I am working with two datasets from two different sources and cannot
    get project-on-the-fly to work.

    I am using QGIS 2.8.0 on Ubuntu 12.04.

    What I have tried:

    (1) right clicking each layer, going to Set Layer CRS, setting all
    the layers to the same projection (NAD83  EPSG:4269)  and I've also
    tried (NAD83(CSRS)  EPSG:4617).

    Even when I do this (and it shows that the layer is in the
    coordinate system that I've selected), the layers don't line up.
    Also I continue to get the message "Define this layer's
      coordinate reference system:  This layer appears to have no
      projection specification.  By default this layer will now have its
      projection set to that of the project, but you may override blah
      blah.."

    (2) I've tried turning project on the fly off, removing the layer
    that won't match up, adding again, immediately changing projection,
    etc.  No difference.

    (3) I've also tried saving the offending file after choosing the new
    projection, and then re-adding the new saved file.  No difference.

    Any help would be appreciated.

		http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/Trouble-projecting-on-the-fly-tp5189590.html

		To start a new topic under Quantum GIS - User, email ml-node+s1560n4125267h38@n6.nabble.com
		To unsubscribe from Quantum GIS - User, click here .
		NAML