[Qgis-user] calculating areas considering two layers

Antonio Silva aolinto.lst at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 11:46:53 PST 2015

Hello QGis User

I have two polygon shapes. The first one gives me fishing areas, i.e.,
several contiguous squares of 20' x 20'. The second shape indicates the
sediment type (mud, sand, etc.). Each type of sediment is a feature of this
second shape and they form a very irregular mosaic.

I want to calculate the area covered by each sediment type per square. In
other words I'd like to know, for example, that in the square 1 I have 100
NM2 (squared nautical miles) of mud, 250 NM2 of fine sand and  50 NM2 of
gravel.

Which is the best way to achieve this result in QGIS?

Thanks very much.

Antônio Olinto Ávila da Silva