[Qgis-user] Qgis settings corrupted after crash.

Heather Hillers Heather.Hillers at erftverband.de
Wed Feb 25 02:32:20 PST 2015

Hi Jürgen,

Restarting Qgis involves the user clicking on QGIS Desktop 2.6 in the start menu, which runs qgis.bat.  Standard OSGeo4W setup.

My user from the second instance of the error said that when qgis crashed, it closed with a Windows App Crash. He was at the time using one of my plugins, where I build a virtual memory layer with the results of a cx_Oracle query.  The query results were huge, resulting in what appeared to be a standard seg fault. The Win Farm environment was functioning fine after the crash.  He did restart the Win Farm instance before restarting qgis.  In this case, by the time we saw his Desktop, he had restarted qgis again, so we could not verify if U had been pointing to the wrong profile.

In the first instance, there was no crash involved. I was showing my colleague how to write a plugin.  We both made a plugin with plugin builder, each entering our own names and titles in the metadata.  We installed plugins in our respective profile directories. (Again, it is impossible to see or write to another person’s profile.) We then both restarted QGIS. We opened the Plugin Manager.  My colleague saw her metadata shown in the plugin manager.  I saw  !!! my colleagues metadata (author name, title).   At this point, we both looked in our plugin metadata in the profile under U.  My U:/qgis had my plugin with my metadata.txt in it.  She also had her own.  But QGIS was showing me that of my colleague.  We restarted qgis, and the problem resolved.  We were not able to reproduce the problem and hoped it was a fluke.   The second instance, which happened yesterday, confirms the problem but we are not any better able to reproduce it.

I cannot with 100% certainty say that U for a moment was pointing to the wrong directory and we did not catch it.  My System Administrator says that theoretically, technically, it is possible, however, U is used house wide for all of our software profiles (windows, oracle, office).  If U was not stable, then we would be seeing many errors.

How would I even test that?  What if I create a file in my profile with a unique name, and then make a script that runs in the background and checks every 5 seconds to see if it is there?

Heather