[Qgis-user] Saving a polygon in QGis before to edit it

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jul 20 00:10:44 PDT 2015

Hi Didier,

Is this for historisation purposes? If yes, I would look into database
solutions to do historization.

The SQL-MM standard has this as a built-in tool set for databases,
however, PostgreSQL does not implement this part of the SQL
specification (I believe the latest versions of SQL server and Oracle 12
does). However, you can simulate the same in Postgis, using triggers and
rules.

Andreas

On 2015-07-20 08:00, didier peeters wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to find the best solution to the following case:
>
> in QGis, when editing a polygon (splitting it in 2 parts) I need to save the original shape, in order to keep the different steps of its evolution; this operation is likely to be repeated several times. The solution I found is to
>
> * start by copying the polygon,
> * then edit it (split)
> * then pasting back the original one,
> * then adjust and update the attributes of the 2 new polygons.
>
> Is there a less tricky way to achieve this ?
>
> If not it would be nice to have an option in the save dialog (with a default behaviour set in the Settings), and I would file a feature request.
>
> Didier

Links:
------