[Qgis-user] Organic heatmap outter contour, and making it look better

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa celoserpa at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:58:50 PDT 2015

Thanks to @Neumann, @Abdishakur and @Richard from my previous thread, the
info was valuable! I did reply the post with some additional questions it
but for some reason the mailing list server bounced my messages. They are
not so relevant anymore, but if you get them, I'd still want to know your
opinions.

Anyway, I played a couple of hours today with the data I have and with the
interpolation and countours features of QGis (which seems to use Gdal under
the cover, which was, for me, a quite interesting finding! That means that
any result I get with QGis could easily be scriptable, which is  a must,
since it will eventually be used in a web app pipeline) and I got this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ig76n1kcxoo76w/Screenshot%202015-07-24%2021.39.00.png?dl=0

It still doesn't look quite like I want*[0] but I'm getting there. The
countours feature seems to be what I want. The numbers, by the way, is
revenue per day in a certain area. The colors are not quite right (too many
of them) so I need to tweak the styles, I think, and I don't want the
actual countours lines to appear. They all seem to be simple problems to
solve, but if you know how to do them, I'd love to know!

What seems to be more complicated, is how to create an organic feeling to
the map. I don't want it to be a square, like this, I want the edge to
follow the outter points. Here's what I mean:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6na766a4ox1ngg/Screenshot-2015-07-15-21.47.55.jpg?dl=0.
Does anyone have any idea of to do this?

Thanks!

-- Marcelo.