[Qgis-user] QGIS and ArcGIS Pro

James Wood jwood911 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 10:45:15 PDT 2015

I've been using ArcGIS Pro since its Beta. Randal is right. You can not run it standalone and you must have an ArcGIS Online subscription to even open it. If this is the new Desktop (which I agree that's the direction Esri is moving), those restrictions will have to go away for their user market. Not everyone has an Internet connection at the time they need to open a desktop mapping application. It has some pretty neat functionality, allows manipulation of 3D data easily, and is lightening fast with heavy Enterprise DBs. It also conforms to the Microsoft application UI, in that it has ribbons instead of menus.

QGIS has more comparisons to the existing ArcGIS Desktop application.

James
Sent from my iPhone