[Qgis-user] Local Government for QGIS

Jacopo Tonetti jacopotonetti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 00:11:19 PDT 2015

Hi,
it is strange and in some way comforting that on the "other side" of earth
there are local government employees "asked to do more with less resources"
:)
In Italy, where I was a consultant for a local government, things are
slowly but constantly (in my view) changing toward an increase of FOSS
softwares (QGIS above all), mainly due to this long-lasting economical
crisis, but confirmed by the ability to hold the comparison with all the
proprietary softwares.
My two cents here, when you say "We are open minded enough to examine the
alternatives as they present themselves and take advantage of opportunities
as they arise", is to increase your involvement in QGIS project, because it
has the maturity to be a perfect substitute of
arc-map-copyrighted-proprietary-things. Please don't dissipate (too much!) your
energies and resources in small and local alternative projects, but keep
building the greatest alternative that people can freely choose.
Jacopo

>:

> I, too, work for local government - in New South Wales (Australia).
>
> We were an exclusively MapInfo shop until I came along. Not that I can
> claim the move to QGIS ... but adding me to the staff meant that the
> opportunity was there to explore open source software and how it would fit
> into Council's IT and GIS.
>
> There are hiccups, of course, but I find QGIS to be as robust as MapInfo,
> sometimes better and sometimes not as good. I think, though, that this can
> be said of any software comparisons.
>
> Our reasons for changing were as the OP described - an unwillingness to be
> locked into proprietary formats and expensive licensing agreements. We may
> not be on QGIS forever, either. We are open minded enough to examine the
> alternatives as they present themselves and take advantage of opportunities
> as they arise.
>
> While we are being asked to do more with less resources, we see this as
> the most appropriate course at this time.
>
> We have the support of consultants who know and understand QGIS and who
> are partners with enterprises who fund and develop changes and improvements
> with QGIS. And personally, I have found the help and support available
> through this mail list to be invaluable. Through this mail list I have been
> able to deal directly with the developer of a particular component of QGIS
> and had it fixed in the nightly build.
>
> _______________
> Johanna Botman
> GIS / Assets Officer
>

> Griffith City Council
> Ph: 02 6962 8168
>

> ------------------------------
> This e-mail, together with any attachments, is for the exclusive and
> confidential use of the addressee(s). Confidentiality is not waived if you
> are not the intended recipient. Any other distribution, use of, or
> reproduction without prior written consent is strictly prohibited.
>
> Views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual, except where
> specifically stated otherwise. If this e-mail has been sent to you in
> error, please delete the e-mail completely and immediately from your
> system. Although reasonable precautions are taken, Griffith City Council
> does not warrant or guarantee this message to be free of errors,
> interference, viruses or similar malicious code and does not accept
> liability for any consequences to the recipient opening or using this email
> or attachments.
>
> This email was scanned and cleared by MailMarshal, Sophos & Kaspersky AV

FaunaViva
V.le Sarca 78 - 20125 Milano
Tel: 02 36 59 15 61
Fax: 02 36 59 17 21