[Qgis-user] Do I need satellite raster layers relative to an extended UTM zone?

Karl Zinglersen karl.zinglersen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:47:15 PDT 2015

When you transform/reproject data across UTM zones, I'll again praise the
KMS Engsager Extended Mercator, which is now a part af PROJ.4 (thanks to
Thomas Knudsen and Frank Warmerdam et al), and consequently in GDAL. and is
relatively fast and very exact to within millimeters across multiple zones.
This should be default on the raster side, so far I know.

But on the vector side in QGIS, you'll need to set an environmental
parameter to get exact results: OSR_USE_ETMERC = YES. This can be done in
QGIS' menu Settings -> Options -> System -> and down to the Environment
section - or directly in regex so it takes effect for ogr2ogr in the
command prompt. Again, rasters should be OK. Otherwise put +proj=etmerc in
the proj-strin.

In the high latitudes of Greenland, we had 8-900 m transformation problem
across 5 zones. In ArcGIS, ESRI made a number of special UTM WGS 84 Zones
20-27 named "Complex" - just for Greenland. Which was needed, because while
working with data in the northern parts, we'll often need to cross multiple
zones.

If you are not working with data from the Arctic or Antarctic, it is
probably not a substantial problem, but it might save you some meters or
centimeters here and there.

Karl

Karl Brix Zinglersen