[Qgis-user] How to install the long term updates?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Jun 16 06:54:14 PDT 2015

Hi Thomas,

On Tue, 16. Jun 2015 at 12:54:51 +0000, Kloß, Thomas - LISt wrote:
> we are using QGIS 2.8.X on Windows 7 because we want a stable and less
> frequently changing platform. I've read that this version is a Long Term
> Release (LTR) and that it will be supported with backported bug fixes for one
> year.

> Are these bug fixes installed automatically or do I have to install them
> manually? I'm wondering where I can find these updates and how I can install
> them.

No, you'll have to install new packages.

This can either be right away after a backport happens using a nightly build of
the release branch or - probably the preferable option - after there not have
been new backports for a while and a new point release including all bugfixes
since the last point release happens.

> Does the LTR version refer to all 2.8.X versions, or only to a specific one,
> like version 2.8.2.?

Yes, LTR refers to 2.8.x.   Note that there are no separate ltr packages yet as
2.8.x is still our current release.

When 2.10 is released there will be an extra line of packages that have the 2.8
line (LTR) - with only bugfixes to 2.8.

See http://qgis.org/en/site/forusers/alldownloads.html for more information.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode