[Qgis-user] QGIS scale bar - fixing the width

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Tue Jun 16 07:27:10 PDT 2015

Hi Chris,

This is a known limitation of QGIS - the graphical scalebar doesn't work
well with changes in map scale. Version 2.10 (to be released in 1.5-2
weeks) addresses this issue by introducing a new option called "Fit
segment width" (see image below) where the map units are adopted and the
segment length varies between min/max ranges. This works very well
across all map scales.

Until then you would either have to avoid the graphical scale-bar and
replace it with a numerical one, or you have to manually adjust the
scalebar after each change in map scale ;-(

Andreas