[Qgis-user] Transparency for vector symbol layers

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Jun 20 07:43:40 PDT 2015

To better illustrate my point, please have a look at the attached
screenshot of waste-water pipes.  Note that in the middle there is a
thick transparent purple line with a data-defined line-thickness
depending on the pipe diameter, defined in map units and at the sides
there are darker, opaque lines, defined in mm with a data-defined
offsets. So you can see, you can not only mix transparent/non
transparent symbol levels, but you can also mix units (map units and
mm). This is quite powerful!

However, this example also illustrates one shortcoming. Have a look at
the angle at the manhole symbol, labeled with "52160 ...." - here you
can see that the two adjacent thick pipes overlap and it gets darker
(still transparent) because of that. If the transparency wouldn't be
attached to the individual feature, but on the whole symbol level, this
wouldn't be the case.

There is always room for improvements ;-)

Andreas