[Qgis-user] shapefile

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Sat Jun 20 10:12:35 PDT 2015

Hi,
In your QGIS option, make sure CRS on the fly is activated. Also make sure that the "what to do if file has no CRS" is set to "ask" so that QGIS does not assume the projection is the project projection or a default CRS.
Once the file is open, if the file has no CRS (prj file,), QGIS will ask for a projection.  At this point, you will need to add one.  If you are not sure, you can try something logical like a local CRS. (Informed guess).   Zoom to layer extent and see if you are in the right spot.   If not, you can right click on the layer and change the CRS and then zoom to extent again. Look at the x and y.  Are you in meters or long\lat??? That will help guessing. If you find the right CRS, you can save the file with the new or corrected prj file in the "save as".
Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
Les Entreprises Archéotec inc.
8548, rue Saint-Denis Montréal H2P 2H2
Téléphone: 514.381.5112  Fax: 514.381.4995
www.archeotec.ca