[Qgis-user] Suggestions for converting Raster to Vector Format

Nick Papadonis npapadonis at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 14:48:33 PDT 2015

Hi Folks,

  I have some topographic maps scanned that I’d like to convert to vector format.  I’m hoping in vector form they will be more useful and battery efficient on my GPS.  I understand there is some expensive software out there like ArcScan and a few open source projects to help with the process using edge detection.  I also understand that some say that placing a scanned image as a Qgis background layer and tracing vectors over it manually is a more reliable method.  Appreciate any suggestions hopefully from someone that’s done this about what process you used process and your experience.

Thank you,
Nick