[Qgis-user] Missing Oracle connectivity on QGIS Browser

Tudorache, Marian Marian.Tudorache at navcanada.ca
Fri Jun 26 13:01:06 PDT 2015

Hi Jürgen/Andreas,

I think you misunderstood my issue.
First let's be clear.
There is no issue with Oracle connectivity from Linux.
The oracle client runs properly and I am able to access oracle database using wither sqlplus or SQL developer interface.

The issue is when I am trying to add a vector layer using SDO data from an Oracle spatial database: there is not Oracle connectivity icon on QGIS under Linux Red Hat.
I only have connectivity to the fowling database types:
- MSSQL;
- OGDI Vectors;
- PostGIS;
- SpatiaLite;

As alternative way I have tried Add Vector Layer/Source Type Database.
On the database type the dropdown list gave those options:

- ODBC;
- ESRI Personal Geodatabase;
- MSSQL;
- OGDI Vectors;
- PostgreSQL;
- MySQL

So again no Oracle option.

But I said let's try ODBC to see if I can use it to pull Oracle spatial data. So this option does not work either.

I have tried to use GDAL/OGR's OCI driver so I had a look here: http://www.gdal.org/index.html I have installed but how can be used?

The only clear document is this: http://www.igismap.com/connect-qgis-oracle-spatial-quantum-gis/
But since I do not have Oracle spatial as the tutorial says I can't use it.

Do you know where I have learn how to connect to oracle using GDAL/OGR?

Thanks,
Marian

When I tested QGIS on Windows 7 there is an Oracle connectivity icon that I was able to use it without problem.
But our requirements were to use QGIS 2.8 on Linux Red Hat with Oracle spatial.

After I installed QGIS on red hat I observed there is not Oracle connectivity on QGIS as in the windows version.
I have sent an email about this issue a while ago.

Andreas thought the issue is because I do not have installed Oracle Client.

But the this wasn't the issue because I had oracle client installed on the Linux machine