[Qgis-user] Panasonic Toughbook FZ-G1 and QGIS

Bo Victor Thomsen bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 22:41:30 PDT 2015

I don't have any experience with the FZ-G1, only some older Toughbook
models. You can't kill them even if you drove over them with a truck :-)

Anyway, the agency I assist with  their Tablet based field solution, is
now using relatively cheap consumer tablets together with external USB
based GNNS recievers.

Just keep your option open about the GPS. The market for cheap GPS'es is
moving very fast, so any built-in GPS will like be outmoded long before
the rest of the pc is. Keep your options open so it's possible to use a
cheap and simple external GPS (USB or Bluetooth based).

The GPS I'm using and recommending right now is a HOLUX M215+ (Remember
the "+") which is a combined GPS/GLONASS receiver. It consistently finds
around 20 satellites (under a clear sky), has a PDOP under 1.0 and is
very stable

If you need centimeter or decimeter precision, you're probably better of
by buying a dedicated professional GNNS reciever in quite another
price-range

Regards
Bo Victor Thomsen
AestasGIS