[Qgis-user] QGIS: great at sea...(teaching & research in the field)

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Fri Mar 20 15:24:51 PDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

I just wanted to quickly report back on a question I posed here app.
9 months ago re. the use of OpenGIS (QGIS) on a ship and teaching vessel:

In summary, I can only say the best how this worked out on the ship and
with students!

The software had no installation problems, was not clumsy, dealt with a
variety of lab set-ups and hardware + OSs, and it provided for a brilliant
and steady approach to mapping, GPS linkage, use of online data, and
oceans/terrestrial applications while traveling across several seas and
cultures. A diversity of students and skills can be catered.
Cannot be better!

It opened up many student's minds, and in comparison to just Google Earth.

I found, QGIS made for a wonderful example of 'inquiry-based' learning in
the real world.

So in conclusion, I can recommend it highly for (ocean) field schools and
field lab settings.
Over time, I would be delighted to hear from other people and their
experiences re. QGIS use and teaching etc, too.

Thanks; very best
     Falk

Falk Huettmann PhD, Associate Professor
-EWHALE lab-
Biology & Wildlife Dept, Inst. of Arctic Biology
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Fairbanks Alaska 99775 USA
Email fhuettmann at alaska.edu  Tel +1 907 474 7882