[Qgis-user] OSM and postgres speed

Ross McDonald ross at mixedbredie.net
Tue Nov 3 12:31:18 PST 2015

Hi Tom,

Several things come to mind:

* all installed on the same machine? How many cores? 64bit?
* are you trying to route across your network or just draw the features?
* if you are routing you can try using a bounding box on your query to
limit the number of features returned.
* have you run a full vacuum analyse on your Postgres tables to update
statistics?  How many features in your tables?
* try resetting your PostGIS connection in QGIS to not use the estimate
extent.
* spatial and attribute indexes on relevant fields in the table?
* in QGIS you can set, under Settings > Options > Rendering, to render
layers in parallel and also set the number of cores to use.
* can you set some scale dependent rendering on your layer so that it
only draws some features at small scales and then more detail as you
zoom in?

Hope that helps a bit

Cheers

Ross