[Qgis-user] OSM and postgres speed

Thomas Endres endres.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 09:50:48 PST 2015

Hi Ross - thanks for your suggestions. See notes below.

* all installed on the same machine? How many cores? 64bit?

Yes - all on same machine - 4 cores - 64 bit

> * are you trying to route across your network or just draw the features?

* if you are routing you can try using a bounding box on your query to
> limit the number of features returned.

No routing - just drawing.

> * have you run a full vacuum analyse on your Postgres tables to update
> statistics?  How many features in your tables?

Yes and repeated just to make sure - no difference.

> * try resetting your PostGIS connection in QGIS to not use the estimate
> extent.

Where is this setting in QGIS?

> * spatial and attribute indexes on relevant fields in the table?

Yes

> * in QGIS you can set, under Settings > Options > Rendering, to render
> layers in parallel and also set the number of cores to use.

Already set to render layers in parallel and using all 4 cores.

> * can you set some scale dependent rendering on your layer so that it only
> draws some features at small scales and then more detail as you zoom in?

I hope to when I can get that far. Are you using North America OSM data
without issues?
Wishing I could see why QGIS is taking up so much CPU for so long w/PostGIS
when trying to load a project.
Strange behavior - looking for any tools to troubleshoot and provide more
information.

Thanks again,
-tom