[Qgis-user] Creating Geometries for tabular data

Martin Bain Martin.Bain at lismore.nsw.gov.au
Mon Nov 23 17:15:09 PST 2015

Very nice work Nyall!

Thank you very much,
Martin.

-----Original Message-----
From: Qgis-user [mailto:qgis-user-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Nyall Dawson
Sent: Tuesday, 24 November 2015 7:32 AM
To: Matthias Kuhn
Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Creating Geometries for tabular data

On 17 November 2015 at 06:59, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:
> I use the process on a postgis DB, but Shapefiles are also capable of
> having tabular data without geometries attached.
> However I do not know how you would create such a file (easily) from
> an existing geometry-less layer.
>
> Maybe something like this:
> http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/327/how-can-i-convert-an-excel-
> file-with-x-y-columns-to-a-shapefile
>
> Or try with adding a dummy geometry column in a csv so it loads as
> points and then save as shapefile.

Ok, with improvements that just landed in QGIS master (see [1]) this is now MUCH easier. Now, you can right click the geometryless table in the legend and select "Save as". In the save vector layer dialog there's a new option to override the geometry type for the saved file.
So you can choose to save the geometryless table with a Point/Line/Polygon geometry, which will obviously all initially be empty. Then, you can select features from the attribute table and use the "add part" tool to attach geometries to these records.

The new option also lets you force the saved file to be multipart, which is also useful in some circumstances.

Nyall

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/ffebfd9bb719daf1ffa9bf7dde68c6e5892dcb89